Head Chef and Sous Chef
Job Category: Head Chef
Job Location: Oxford , Oxford
Description: New Opening - Oxford Westgate - Head Chef and Sous Chef
Salary negotiable dependant on experience
Overall purpose of these roles:
Our Head and Sous Chefs are critical to the success of our unique brand. We view them as a key part of the senior management team, and as Head or Sous Chef you are responsible for planning and directing the food operation on site. You will ensure that high standards of quality, consistency, controls, food safety, due diligence and team leadership are implemented and maintained. You will work closely with the GM on site, to maximise profitability and ensure that we deliver outstanding customer service at all times.
Duties and responsibilities:
* Understand the aims of the restaurant, agree departmental objectives and cascade to the kitchen team.
* Ensure all the kitchen team are aware of their responsibilities and their roles within the restaurant.
* Ensure recruitment and selection, training and appraising of staff is carried out with the kitchen team in line with restaurant and legal requirements standards.
* Ensure that all kitchen team have documented food safety training on induction and complete Level 2 Food Safety qualification within their first month of starting work.
* Carry out quarterly job chats and annual appraisals of all team members to identify training needs and to set department and individual goals in line with company goals and objectives.
* Recommend kitchen staff for recruitment, transfer or promotion if required.
* Conduct monthly kitchen team meetings, ensuring communication is effective, consistent and a two-way communication process.
* Ensure all employees administration is documented per legal requirements and company policy.
* Consistently motivate, guide and coach team members on company standards and best practise to exceed targets and create a positive environment during shifts.
* Maintain strong working knowledge of company products, services and offer support to new starters and existing team members.
* Lead by example and take responsibility, whilst participating in own continual and professional development.
* Demonstrate and maintain high standards of service to meet and exceed customer and company expectations.
* Ensure that all customer complaints related to food quality are resolved and responded to in a timely and efficient manner. If necessary procedure is implemented to ensure there is no recurrence.
* Ensure that high levels of customer service are maintained at all times.
* Work closely with the members of the Sales team to ensure a co-ordinated approach to customers.
* Have total accountability for the day to day running of the kitchen service.
* Ensure that the kitchen meets statutory and company requirements of Health and Safety, Food Safety and environmental legislation and procedures
* Maintain consistent food costs and strict stock control procedures for wastage and portion control. Ensure all wastage is minimised and recorder accurately.
* Receive, check and record deliveries as required ensuing invoices are stored accurately and carry out weekly stock control while duty managing.
* To forecast and control wage cost effectively.
* Identify and action any potential sales leads and maximise sales within the restaurant.
* Ensure safe working practices are followed and equipment faults are reported to the General Chef.
* Ensure engineer call outs for all repairs on catering equipment are effectively managed while duty managing.
* Develop and implement action plans to address any shortfall in standards.
* Promote a professional and progressive relationship with restaurant suppliers ensuring mutual respect is maintained.
* Organise and contribute to departmental and management meetings and collect information to ensure quality discussion.
* Ensure specified meeting points are actioned and followed.
* Actively demonstrate and encourage the company values and act as a brand ambassador.
* Assist where required in the completion of the weekly accounts and administrative tasks for all areas of the kitchen including ordering, stock control, sales and HCCAP to set deadlines and using this information to ensure that all budgets/sales targets are being meet.
* Develop and implement cleaning schedules in accordance with Health and Safety Regulations, Food Safety Regulations and company standards.
* Ensure that all risk assessments are completed in Kitchen areas and are reviewed at least on an annual basis, or according to risk assessment guidelines.
* Comply with the restaurant's fire and safety procedures.
* Report and investigate all near misses, accidents and reportable incidents while on duty.
* Ensure all daily paperwork is completed.
* Assist in communication of business objectives by attending management meetings as required and giving relevant feedback on any potential staff issues.
Personal Competencies and Characteristics:
Respectful of all team members job roles and positions, product knowledge, computer skills e.g. emails, operational systems, customer-service skills, leadership skills, personable, strong written and verbal communication, adheres to deadlines, organised, problem-solving attitude, self-motivated, flexible, able to cope under pressure, ability to prioritise as the business needs.
* Food Hygiene Certification Level 3
* Health and Safety Cerfificate
* Professional chef diploma or equivalent qualification
* Promote a culture where ideas are welcome and implemented by managers and staff.
* A proven track record of delivering high standards of service and presentation.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays as required.
* Able to form effective working relationships with other team members.
* Possess a positive attitude to work related issues.
* Continually strive to achieve personal goals and objectives.
* Be uncompromising in achieving company standards.
* Communicate relevant business information regularly, efficiently and concisely to their team.
Employer Reference: SD 2663
Job Type: permanent
Contact Phone Number: 01865 858686
Number of Views: 7
Date Added: 09 October 2017